Create your own path at the dynamic intersection of communication, journalism and public relations.
Build a broad base of knowledge and sharpen the skills that will make you an exceptional communicator, multimedia journalist and critical thinker through our academic majors in communication, journalism, and public relations and advertising. With USC Annenberg’s state-of-the-art facilities and position in the dynamic city of Los Angeles, you will be ideally positioned to engage with the big ideas and latest technologies needed to understand and analyze complex issues.
Our faculty — leading scholars and industry professionals — will personally teach, train and mentor you as the future leaders of their ﬁelds. In addition to academic advising throughout your undergraduate years, you will be prepared for life after graduation through the guidance of our dedicated career development team and the connections you build across our worldwide alumni and industry networks.
How to apply for admission
Prepare for USC
USC Admission provides detailed recommendations on the best preparation for university admission. The Preparing for USC webpage will help you plan your classes by grade level and stay current on admission information.
Learn about the various visit opportunities on the Meet Us webpage to experience and engage with the campus community by visiting USC.
Know who to contact
The following contacts are your best sources during the application filing period:
USC Annenberg Admissions Office
For questions regarding majors, programs and events at USC Annenberg.
Important note for all applicants
USC only accepts first-year and transfer applications for fall semesters. All undergraduates must apply for a fall term.
USC Annenberg Admissions representatives conduct first-year information sessions as part of Meet USC.
As a transfer applicant, it is your responsibility to know the USC transfer policies and procedures. Refer to this section for information about the application process, core requirements, the transfer planning worksheet, and the Transferring to USC booklet. In addition, these guidelines will enhance your preparation for an undergraduate major at USC Annenberg.
You will apply to USC using the Common Application.
Transfer selectionAdmission to USC Annenberg is competitive. The quality and rigor of your undergraduate academic coursework are primary considerations in our review process. Applicants must satisfy USC’s transfer core requirements in English and math. Refer to the website cited above. Traditionally, the average GPA of admitted USC Annenberg transfer applicants is 3.77. However, no GPA guarantees admission.
The best preparation for a USC Annenberg major is to:
- Make progress toward completing USC General Education Core Literacies.
- Complete one semester (or two quarters) of college/university foreign language course work before transferring.
Letter of recommendation
To complete your application, you are required to submit one letter of recommendation from a college/university instructor or college/university academic advisor. Letters from high school teachers, high school counselors or employers are not accepted.
- Strong writing skills demonstrated in essays and grades in college English Composition courses
- Interest and commitment to major demonstrated through internships, employment, student clubs and organizations, or community service
- Leadership in campus organizations, student government, community service, or clubs
- Employment, family responsibility or other circumstances that may have impacted your academic performance
- Non-traditional or returning adult students with weaker performance in early college experience and strong grades (A’s and B’s) in more recent transferable course work
- Coursework that may be helpful for upper-division classes, such as college statistics for More questions majors
- Applicants attending California community colleges must review current articulation agreements available on the USC website.
- If you are attending a four-year college or university, contact USC Admission at (213) 740-1111 for advice regarding course work to meet USC General Education and core requirements.
- There are no lower-division prerequisites for any Annenberg major.
- Supplemental materials will not be reviewed as part of the admission process. Portfolios, artwork, news clippings are not required or encouraged.
- It is highly recommended that applicants add a second choice major outside of the Annenberg School on their Common Application.
More questions? Plan to attend a virtual Annenberg transfer information session. Make your reservation at USC Admission.
Application status checks
Log in to your Common Application to verify completion and/or submission of all required online elements of your application before the application deadline.
To check the status of your admission application, receipt of test scores, or the documents you submitted, visit youSC.
|First-year Early Action (EA) for non-binding admission consideration and USC and USC Annenberg merit scholarship consideration
|First-year Regular Decision (RD) for admission consideration
|Transfer application deadline for admission and USC
merit scholarship consideration