Office HoursBy appointment
Laura E. Davis is an assistant professor of professional practice at the USC Annenberg School of Journalism, where, as the digital news director for USC Annenberg’s Media Center, she built the digital infrastructure of the student newsroom, launched award-winning products and co-created a first-of-its-kind copy editing chatbot. Now, she does research and development work for the student newsroom and the journalism curriculum, as she continues to build and research her chatbot. In 2019, she co-authored a study on its educational effects and presented it at the World Journalism Education Congress.
Laura teaches classes on audience engagement and social media and mobile storytelling, and she created Annenberg’s first product development course. After leading Annenberg Media’s participation in nation-wide research on trust in news, she also works as a coach for the Trusting News project.
Prior to USC, Laura worked as a reporter for The Associated Press, a homepage, social media and politics editor at Yahoo News, the deputy mobile editor at the Los Angeles Times and a mobile editor at BuzzFeed, where she was on the team that launched the award-winning BuzzFeed News app. Through the nature of her work, she has helped national newsrooms change their workflow, policies and culture in the face of disruption. She has been published in USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, BuzzFeed News, Nieman Lab and MediaShift, among others. She’s also a proud Annenberg graduate.
- Nieman Lab: Writing Answers Before You Know the Question
- Nieman Lab: More Access, But Not That Kind
- Nieman Lab: Show your Work
- MediaShift: Meet the Bots Reporting on the Republican and Democratic Conventions
- Nieman Lab: Just Tell a Story
- BuzzFeed: The Word You Should Think About When Sending A Push Notification
- BuzzFeed: Why How You Do What You Do Matters
- BuzzFeed: A news app isn’t a new homepage. It’s a social media account
- BuzzFeed: Important To Us Doesn’t Have To Mean Important To You
- Publishing news across platforms means earning trust across platforms
ASCJ 200 Navigating Media and News in the Digital Age
JOUR 323: Journalism and the Audience