University of New South Wales (UNSW)
Applications for Sydney Spring 2020 are now closed.
Download our Sydney program fact sheet.
Studying abroad was the best experience of my life. Not only do you learn so much about yourself, but you get the opportunity to immerse yourself in an entirely different culture. I absolutely fell in love with everything about Australia.” –Former UNSW Participant
Study alongside local Aussie and other international students at the University of New South Wales (UNSW), one of the top universities in Oceania and the world. With a premier communication and media program, you’ll explore Sydney’s thriving media scene and immerse yourself in university life in Australia. With the option to live on or off-campus, you’ll gain exposure to the country’s rich Aboriginal and European cultural roots and experience Sydney’s world-class restaurants, entertainment, nightlife, shopping, and outdoor activities. From the city to the beach to the classroom this program offers an unparalleled semester experience. Learn more about UNSW here.
This program is open to all USC Undergraduates who meet eligibility requirements.
January 2 - May 16, 2020.
Orientation and classes begin on January 6, 2020. Students must arrive prior to the 6th. Students living in on-campus housing will be able to move in on January 2nd, 2020.
Courses are available in most departments at UNSW including:
- Public Relations & Marketing
- Advertising & Digital Media
- Foreign Languages
- Political Science and International Relations
Academic Units & Credit
All students are required to enroll in a full course load of 16 units.
- COMM students will be able to earn 12 units of upper-division major elective credit; the remaining 4 units taken will be general elective credits.
- JOUR & PR students may be able to earn 8-12 units of upper-division major elective credit; the remaining 3 units taken will be general elective credit.
- Petition process may be required.
- Petition process may be required.
- All other USC majors will be able to earn 16 units of general elective credits.
There is no guaranteed minimum number of approved COMM courses offered at UNSW during any given semester. For more details on earning other Annenberg and non-Annenberg major and minor credit on this program, contact International Programs.
Students must take courses for a letter grade, pass/no pass is not an option. Courses will transfer into USC as credit/no credit and will have no impact on USC GPA. UNSW will issue a separate transcript which students may be required to submit to graduate or professional schools in the future.
- UNSW is known as “Australia’s most international campus”
- High faculty-to-student ratio ensures personal attention
- World-class sport and recreation facilities available
- Access to student services including clubs, societies, teams, and activities
- Organized trips and activities include visits to the Sydney Opera House, the Blue Mountains, harbor cruises, barbecues, sporting events, theatre productions, and access to wildlife parks
- Complete immersion into Australian culture
Students can live in furnished single-occupancy dorm rooms or shared apartments on campus with local and international students. Students can choose to live in dormitories with meal plans or self-contained apartments with kitchen facilities.
Open to all USC majors. Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a minimum junior standing before the start of the program.
Each semester Annenberg International Programs provides an up-to-date cost sheet to admitted students; if there are any changes from the time students are admitted to a program to the time they leave for a study abroad semester, updated cost sheets will be sent to the students. Please see the detailed estimated program costs below for Spring 2020. Please note that these costs are subject to change without notice:
• Tuition: $8,812 (Spring 2020 rate)
• USC Administrative Fee: $3,000
• Housing: $8,400 (more affordable housing may be available)
• USC Overseas Health Insurance*: $485
• Round Trip Airfare: $1,800
• Australian Visa: $445
• Personal Expenses (food, entertainment, weekend travel, etc.): $4,080
• Additional Expenses (student visa, books, and supplies, local transportation, international student identity card, US passport, Australian Health Insurance): $833
Financial aid and tuition remission apply. UNSW offers scholarships to study abroad students. Contact AIP for more information on financial aid and scholarships
*USC Overseas Health Insurance is required for all USC-approved study abroad programs. If a student is already enrolled in USC (domestic) Health Insurance there will be no additional charge for USC Overseas Health Insurance; students will be charged the domestic, on-campus rate (noted above). If a student is normally covered otherwise and waives out of USC Health Insurance on campus, students will be charged USC Overseas Health Insurance at a rate of $97/month (2019-2020 rate).