Communication Management (M.C.G.) Fall 2020
When is the application deadline?
The international application deadline is January 1, 2020. Late applications may not be accepted.
The U.S. citizen and permanent resident application deadline is March 15, 2020. Admission decisions are released on a rolling basis.
What should I include in my résumé?
List all internships and paid employment. Describe the nature of work and dates of employment. Include academic and professional awards, honors, teaching experience, subject matter expertise, and language(s) proficiency other than English.
What is the personal statement and what should I address?
This statement should convey your interest in the field and be three to four pages long, typed, and double-spaced. Care should be taken to submit a clear, concise, and well‐written essay. Writing is a core competency for the Master of Communication Management, and the personal statement should reflect this. The statement should incorporate the answers to the following prompts:
- Why are you interested in pursuing the degree of Master of Communication Management?
- Which area of focus in Communication Management (e.g., marketing communication, media & entertainment management, organizational and strategic corporate communication, etc.) interests you more, and why?
- If there are other details about academic performance, etc. that you wish to share.
What type of writing sample is required?
The writing may take various forms: a report for your organization, press releases for clients, news articles, a set of substantial memos to your superiors successfully arguing for a particular position, or an academic paper for a college or university course. The writing sample should not exceed 10 pages.
How many letters of recommendation are needed and from whom?
Submit two letters of recommendation. One recommendation should be from an instructor and the other should be from a professional reference (direct supervisor or manager, not peers or co-workers). Recent graduates (within the last two years) are expected to submit an academic recommendation. Select your recommenders based less on their rank, but rather more on their ability to give in-depth insights about the quality of your work. If you are unable to obtain both an academic and a professional recommendation, two of the same type (i.e., two academic recommendations or two professional recommendations) are acceptable.
What test scores must I submit to apply?
Valid GRE scores are required from all applicants. GMAT scores will be accepted in lieu of GRE. When required, international applicants must submit valid TOEFL or IELTS scores.
What if English is not my first language?
Some international applicants may be required to complete an intensive English language program through USC International Academy before admission to the Master of Communication Management. Visit http://www.international.usc.edu for more information.
What financial support is available?
Departmental merit scholarships and fellowships are competitively awarded. All completed applications are considered for admission and departmental awards.
All US citizens and permanent residents are urged to submit a FAFSA after the admission application deadline.
International student applicants will find critical information at http://gradadm.usc.edu/international-students-financial-documentation.
Go to https://usc.liaisoncas.com to apply.
The online USC Graduate Admission Application opens September 1, 2019.
Upload official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (including USC) to the Academic History section of the application.
- Include the legend for domestic institutions and the grading scale for international institutions.
- International transcripts should include the original language and the English translation as one document.
- Do not upload transcripts from your student portal.
Upload the following documents before submitting your application:
- CV/ Résumé
- Personal Statement
- Writing Sample
- Copy of your official passport (International Applicants only)
- Proof of Financial Support (International Applicants Only)
After receiving your USC ID*, mail official transcripts (original language and English translation) from all colleges and universities attended and any study abroad programs to:
University of Southern California
Office of Graduate Admission
3601 South Flower St., Room 112
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0915
*USC Graduate Admission will send your USC ID via email 2-3 days after you submit your online graduate admission application.
All program materials must be submitted online with the application in English. Once the application has been submitted, you may not upload or change any program materials. Once submitted, all materials and documents become the property of USC and will not be returned.
Create online profiles in the Program Materials section of the application by providing names and email addresses of your recommenders. Your recommenders will be sent instructions on how to submit a recommendation. USC Annenberg only accepts online recommendations.
Valid test scores must be reported electronically from the testing agency to USC (code 4852 for GRE and TOEFL. For IELTS, select University of Southern California Graduate Programs).
- GRE scores are valid if taken August 2015 or later.
- International applicants must submit valid TOEFL or IELTS scores; scores are valid if taken August 2018 or later.
- International applicants who completed their entire undergraduate degree in the United States or another Anglophone country where English is both the language of instruction and the only official language of the country are exempt from submitting TOEFL or IELTS scores. Completing a graduate degree in an Anglophone county does not exempt you from submitting TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- Complete all admission testing as early as possible and no later than one month prior to the application deadline.
Pay the $90 non-refundable application fee with a credit card or request an application fee waiver prior to submitting an application. Fee waiver requirements may be found at USC Graduate Admission website: