ProgramSpecialized Journalism (The Arts)
Upcoming 2016 and past 2015 Speaking Events:
- Jan 14, 2016: Moderator, ALOUD series, "What the Eye Hears: A History of Tap Dancing," LA Central Library's Mark Taper Forum
- Nov 12: Co-producer w/ USC School of Cinematic Arts, "Daisy and Max" screening
- Nov 7: Talk, "A Tribute to Rudy Perez," Claire Trevor School of the Arts, UC Irvine
- Oct 26: Panelist, "Visualizing the Invisible," Theatre@Boston Court, Pasadena
- July 23: MC and producer, Dancers Forum IV, Screen Actors Guild, L.A.
- June 26: Lecture-demonstration, "Every Little Movement," Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival, Becket, MA.
- April 26: Lecture, "The History of American Theatre Criticism or Why the Cherry Sisters Still Matter," Pasadena Playhouse
- April 18: Moderator, LA Festival of Books, panel with authors Sandy Tolan, Elaine Bell Kaplan and Jervey Tervalon, USC Annenberg auditorium
- March 28: Moderator, Moderator, "LA as LAB," Claremont Graduate University
- March 14: Book signing and onstage conversation about "Beautiful Chaos," w/ author Carey Perloff, at Samuel French Bookstore, L.A.
- Feb 21: Producer, DanceMapLA community gathering, "Black Grace," USC Visions & Voices
- Feb 13:Producer, DanceMapLA launch/talk and video karaoke, "Dance and Be Counted," at UCLA's Royce Hall
- Jan 29: Lecture-demonstration, "Making Ballet Contemporary," Carpenter Performing Arts Center, Long Beach.
- Jan 16: Producer, "Red Beard/Red Beard" workshop, USC Annenberg
- Jan 15: Moderator, Los Angeles Poverty Department "Red Beard/Red Beard" panel, USC Visions & Voices
- Jan 13: Moderator, ALOUD series, "Culture Crash: The Killing of the Creative Class," LA Central Library's Mark Taper Forum
Sasha Anawalt is an associate professor and director of the USC Annenberg Master's Program in Arts Journalism, a partnership with USC’s six arts schools that she co-founded in 2008. She has co-produced numerous innovative journalism projects known as the Engine Series. In spring 2015, she launched DanceMapLA, a Los Angeles county-wide original online surveying project that is intended to change the dance landscape. She wrote The Joffrey Ballet: Robert Joffrey and the Making of an American Dance Company, called a “milestone in dance writing” by the New York Times and published by Scribners. A documentary film about the Joffrey Ballet based on her book aired on PBS American Masters in January 2013. She served on the Pulitzer Prize juries for criticism for two years. Anawalt was chief dance critic for the Los Angeles Herald-Examiner for six years and later for the LA Weekly and KCRW, an NPR affiliate in Santa Monica. She attended McGill University and graduated from Barnard College.
Here's a short video on the Arts Journalism Masters program at USC Annenberg:
Video: Doug McLennan talks with Sasha Anawalt after the Friday Night Concert. June 7, 2013.
Video: Engine 28 publisher Sasha Anawalt explains the idea behind the pop-up newsroom, with 40 journalists dedicated to 8 days of intensive reporting on live performance in downtown L.A.
Hero Photo Credit: Cynthia Minet for the elephant in the background.
Joffrey: Mavericks of American Dance
Documentary heavily based on Anawalt's book
Heidi Duckler Dance Theatre, catalogue, Introduction, 2015
Inside Arts magazine, "Soloists" column, January/February 2010
Cue, dance reviews, Rhodes University School of Journalism and Media Studies, June 14-July 2, 2010
JOUR 575: Converged Media Center
GESM 110: Seminar in the Arts | L.A. Culture Behind the Scenes: Process Storytelling About Art and Entertainment
JOUR 592: Specialized Journalism | Reporting the Arts
JOUR 599: Special Assignment Reporting | Arts, Culture, and Entertainment
JOUR 593: Arts Criticism and Commentary
JOUR 599: Monetization and the New Media
JOUR 580: Introduction to Specialized Journalism
JOUR 477: Arts Reporting
FALL AND SPRING 2016
JOUR 594B: Master's Thesis
JOUR 594Z: Master's Thesis
JOUR 594A: Master's Thesis