Download our London Spring program fact sheet.
Before studying abroad in London, I was focused on finding a career in the US after graduation. However my time abroad broadened my scope and helped me realize there are opportunities for me across the globe.” –Lauren, London Spring 2017
London is one of the foremost leaders in communication, media and politics. As such, USC has partnered with ACCENT International and created a unique program with carefully tailored courses specifically designed for communication, journalism and public relations majors. Students live in central London and attend courses led by British faculty taught at the ACCENT Center in Bloomsbury. The Annenberg London program provides a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to use this global metropolis as its classroom and experience the cutting edge in global communication and media.
The program runs every spring semester, early January to early May. The dates for Spring 2018 are January 3rd to May 6th.
Students take the following courses taught by local faculty at the ACCENT Center in central London:
- COMM 364 Comparative Media: US and the UK
- COMM 365 The Rhetoric of London
- COMM 366 Designing Media & Communication Projects for Social Change
- COMM 384 Interpreting Popular Culture
- JOUR 467 Gender and the News Media
- PR 410 London Calling: Public Relations in the UK Hub
*Courses may be subject to change
COMM majors may earn 16 units of upper-division major elective credit for the program. JOUR and PR majors may earn 8-12 units of upper-division major elective credit.
- Organized excursions including: high tea, weekend trip to Bath & Stonehenge, theater productions, museum visits, day trips to Cambridge and Hampton Court Palace.
- Membership to the University of London Student Union for access to clubs, societies, public lectures, and events.
- Explore Europe! With easy access to trains and low-cost airlines, students can easily see the rest of the continent.
Students live in self-contained multi-bedroom apartments located in central London, a short commute/walk (25-30 mins) from the ACCENT Center. Apartments consist of a fully equipped kitchen and shared bedrooms and bathrooms. All bed linens, bath linens, and kitchenware will be supplied to the students in their London apartments.
This program is only open to Annenberg majors. Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Additional Academic Requirements
- COMM majors must have sophomore standing and have completed two Theoretical and Foundational courses at the time of application (or one completed and one in progress)
- JOUR majors must have junior standing at the start of the program and must have completed JOUR 307 and JOUR 320
- PR majors must have junior standing and have completed JOUR 351A
Each semester Annenberg International Programs provides an up-to-date cost sheet to admitted students; if there are any changes from the time students are admitted to a program to the time they leave for a study abroad semester, updated cost sheets will be sent to the students. Please see the detailed estimated program costs below for Spring 2018. Please note that these costs are subject to change without notice:
Program Fees: $3,500
USC Overseas Health Insurance*: $1,205
Round Trip Airfare: $1,500
Personal Expenses (food, entertainment, weekend travel, etc.): $5,500
Additional Expenses (books and supplies, international student identity card, US passport): $332
Financial aid and tuition remission applies. Contact AIP for more information on financial aid and scholarships.
*USC Overseas Health Insurance is required on all USC-approved study abroad programs. If a student is already enrolled in USC (domestic) Health Insurance there will be no additional charge for USC Overseas Health Insurance; students will be charged the domestic, on-campus rate (noted above). If a student is normally covered otherwise and waives out of USC Health Insurance on campus, students will be charged USC Overseas Health Insurance at a rate of $97/month.