Auckland, New Zealand
Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
Applications for AUT Spring 2021 will open on July 15, 2020. Applications will be due August 17th.
Auckland program fact sheet for more details.
I loved being in an environment where not many other people go and experiencing a totally different culture” – Former AUT Participant
Want to hear more from our students about their experience studying abroad in Auckland? Check out our AIP blog for more information.
The Annenberg Auckland program offers the exciting opportunity to spend a semester living and studying in the adventure capital of the world. In partnership with TEAN (The Education Abroad Network), students study at Auckland University of Technology, a rapidly growing top tier global institution focused on innovation and student-centered learning. Nestled in a growing urban city center, the university is near miles of coastline, and with access to secluded beaches, harbors, parks and marine reserves, this program truly offers the best of both outdoor and urban lifestyles.
This program is open to all USC Undergraduates who meet eligibility requirements.
February 8 - June 20, 2020
Courses are available in various fields including:
- Communication Studies
- Public Relations & Marketing
- Advertising & Digital Media
- Maori Media
- Culture and Society
- Business and Leadership
Academic Units & Credit
All students are required to enrol in a full course load of 16 units.
- COMM & JOUR students will be able to earn 12 units of upper-division major elective credit; the remaining 4 units taken will be general elective credits.
- PR students will be able to earn 8 units of upper-division major elective credit; the remaining 8 units taken will be general elective credits.
- All other USC majors will be able to earn 16 units of general elective credits.
Students must take courses for a letter grade, pass/no pass is not an option. Courses will transfer into USC as credit/no credit and will have no impact on USC GPA. AUT will issue a separate transcript which students may be required to submit to graduate or professional schools in the future.
- One of the most affordable study abroad programs offered by USC
- Week-long orientation in Queenstown, the adventure capital of New Zealand
- AUT’s Communication Studies department offers state-of-the-art media facilities
- Students enrol in courses alongside local Kiwi students
- Unique Maori leadership courses provide ample opportunities for cultural immersion into the indigenous culture
- Organized spring break and weekend trips to New Zealand’s South Island, Melbourne, Australia, Thailand and Vietnam
- Social and cultural excursions including day trips, rugby games, coffee breaks, hikes, music festivals, and more!
TEAN provides students with accommodation in Wellesley Student Apartments on campus. Students will live with local students as well as other international students. A range of living options is offered to suit most student needs from single-person rooms to six-bedroom, self-contained, apartment living.
This program is open to all USC majors. Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Additional Academic Requirements
- COMM majors must have sophomore standing and have completed two Theoretical and Foundational courses at the time of application (one completed and one in progress).
- JOUR majors must have junior standing and have completed JOUR 307 and JOUR 320 before the start of the program.
- PR majors must have junior standing and have completed PR 351A before the start of the program.
Each semester Annenberg International Programs provides an up-to-date cost sheet to admitted students; if there are any changes from the time students are admitted to a program to the time they leave for a study abroad semester, updated cost sheets will be sent to the students. Please see the detailed estimated program costs below for Spring 2020. Please note that these costs are subject to change without notice:
• Tuition: $13,400 (Spring 2020 rate)
• USC Administrative Fee: $3,000
• Housing: $4,950
• Student Visa: $235
• USC Overseas Health Insurance*: $485
• Round Trip Airfare: $2,000
• Personal Expenses (food, entertainment, weekend travel, etc.): $4,000
• Additional Expenses (books and supplies, local transportation, international student identity card, US passport): $333
Financial aid and tuition remission applies. TEAN offers several scholarships. Contact AIP for more information on financial aid and scholarships.
*USC Overseas Health Insurance is required on all USC-approved study abroad programs. If a student is already enrolled in USC (domestic) Health Insurance there will be no additional charge for USC Overseas Health Insurance; students will be charged the domestic, on-campus rate (noted above). If a student is normally covered otherwise and waives out of USC Health Insurance on campus, students will be charged USC Overseas Health Insurance at a rate of $97/month (2019-2020 rate).