Auckland University of Technology
***Spring 2018 applications are available here***
Download our Auckland program fact sheet for more details.
The Annenberg Auckland program offers the exciting opportunity to spend a semester living and studying in the adventure capital of the world. In partnership with TEAN (The Education Abroad Network), students study at Auckland University of Technology, a rapidly growing top tier global institution focused on innovation and student-centered learning. Nestled in a growing urban city center, the university is near miles of coastline, and with access to secluded beaches, harbors, parks and marine reserves, this program truly offers the best of both outdoor and urban lifestyles.
The program runs every spring semester, early February to late June. Final dates will be published once available.
Courses are available in various fields including:
- Communication Studies
- Public Relations & Marketing
- Advertising & Digital Media
- Maori Media
- Culture and Society
- Business and Leadership
The maximum number of units available is 16. Communication and Journalism students earn max of 12 units of major credit and 4 units of general elective credit. PR students earn up to 8 units of major credit and 8 units of general elective credit.
- One of the most affordable study abroad programs offered by USC
- Week-long orientation in Queenstown, the adventure capital of New Zealand
- AUT’s Communication Studies department offers state-of-the-art media facilities
- Students enroll in courses alongside local Kiwi students
- Unique Maori leadership courses provide ample opportunities for cultural immersion into the indigenous culture
- Organized spring break and weekend trips to New Zealand’s South Island, Melbourne, Australia, Thailand and Vietnam
- Social and cultural excursions including day trips, rugby games, coffee breaks, hikes, music festivals, and more!
TEAN provides students with accommodation in Wellesley Student Apartments on campus. Students will live with local students as well as other international students. A range of living options are offered to suit most student needs from single-person rooms to six-bedroom, self-contained, apartment living.
This program is open to all USC majors. Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and at least sophomore standing.
Additional Academic Requirements
- COMM majors must have sophomore standing and have completed two Theoretical and Foundational courses at the time of application (one completed and one in progress)
- JOUR majors must have junior standing at the start of the program and must have completed JOUR 307 and JOUR 320
- PR majors must have junior standing and have completed JOUR 351A
Each semester Annenberg International Programs provides an up-to-date cost sheet to admitted students; if there are any changes from the time students are admitted to a program to the time they leave for a study abroad semester, updated cost sheets will be sent to the students. Please note that these costs are subject to change without notice:
• Tuition: $13,750 (will change for Spring 2018)
• USC Administrative Fee: $3,000
• Housing: $4,840
• USC Overseas Health Insurance*: $1,170 (2016-2017 rate)
• Round Trip Airfare: $2,000
• Personal Expenses (food, entertainment, weekend travel, etc.): $4,000
• Additional Expenses (student visa, books and supplies, local transportation, international student identity card, US passport): $875
Financial aid and tuition remission applies. TEAN offers several scholarships. Contact AIP for more information on financial aid and scholarships.
*USC Overseas Health Insurance is required on all USC-approved study abroad programs. If a student is already enrolled in USC (domestic) Health Insurance there will be no additional charge for USC Overseas Health Insurance; students will be charged the domestic, on-campus rate (noted above). If a student is normally covered otherwise and waives out of USC Health Insurance on campus, students will be charged USC Overseas Health Insurance at a rate of $92/month (2016-2017 rate).