***Spring 2018 applications are available here***
Download our Rome program fact sheet.
The Annenberg Rome program offers an exciting opportunity to live and study in the heart one of Europe’s oldest cities and experience the birthplace of modern culture, society, and art. Partnering with ACCENT International, USC has created a unique program with carefully tailored courses specifically designed for Annenberg majors within the Italian context.
Students live in the picturesque area of Trastevere and take classes taught by local faculty in a 16th century renovated Palazzo, just steps away from Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori, the Pantheon, and Vatican City.
The program runs every spring semester. The dates for Spring 2018 are January 7th - May 5th.
Students take the following courses taught by local faculty at the ACCENT Center in central Rome:
- COMM 391/PR 391: Made in Italy: The Marketing of an Ideal
- COMM 392/JOUR 392: Media and Migration in Times of European Crisis
- COMM 393: Rhetoric of Rome
- COMM 434: Italian Media: Popes, Politicians, and Popular Culture
- Italian Language Lab (non-credit)
*Courses may be subject to change
Communication majors may earn 16 units of upper-division major elective credit for the program. JOUR and PR majors may earn up to 8-12 units of upper-division major elective credit for this program.
- Classes are taught by local Italian faculty, some of the top communication practitioners in Europe
- No language requirement. Students learn survival Italian while enrolled in communication courses
- Organized excursions including extended weekend trip to Tuscany, museum and other cultural institutions
- Weekly communication and media-focused events (guest speakers from major news outlets and sports organizations, tour of Rome's fashion district, etc.)
- Opportunities to volunteer with local organizations
- Local Italian university students organize social activities
Students live in self-contained multi-bedroom apartments located in Trastevere, a centrally located neighborhood in Rome, and a short commute/walk from the ACCENT Center. Apartments consist of a fully equipped kitchen and shared bedrooms and bathrooms. All bed linens, bath linens, and kitchenware will be supplied to the students in their Rome apartments.
This program is only open to Annenberg majors. Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. Italian language coursework is not required.
Additional Academic Requirements
- COMM majors must have sophomore standing and have completed two Theoretical and Foundational courses at the time of application (one completed and one in progress)
- JOUR majors must have junior standing at the start of the program and must have completed JOUR 307 and JOUR 320
- PR majors must have junior standing and have completed JOUR 351A
Each semester Annenberg International Programs provides an up-to-date cost sheet to admitted students; if there are any changes from the time students are admitted to a program to the time they leave for a study abroad semester, updated cost sheets will be sent to the students. Please see the detailed estimated program costs below for Spring 2018. Please note that these costs are subject to change without notice:
Program Fees: $3,500
Housing: $4,420 (2016-2017 rate)
USC Overseas Health Insurance*: $1,102 (2016-2017 rate)
Round Trip Airfare: $1,500
Personal Expenses (food, entertainment, weekend travel, etc.): $5,500
Additional Expenses (books and supplies, international student identity card, US passport): $332
Financial aid and tuition remission applies. Contact AIP for more information on financial aid and scholarships.
*USC Overseas Health Insurance is required on all USC-approved study abroad programs. If a student is already enrolled in USC (domestic) Health Insurance there will be no additional charge for USC Overseas Health Insurance; students will be charged the domestic, on-campus rate (noted above). If a student is normally covered otherwise and waives out of USC Health Insurance on campus, students will be charged USC Overseas Health Insurance at a rate of $92/month (2016-2017 rate).