Summer 2018 graduate internship program applications are now closed.
USC Annenberg graduate students have the opportunity to integrate into South African professional culture while exploring what’s considered one of the most beautiful yet complex cities on the continent. Cape Town has it all: beaches, mountains, penguins, nightlife, and perhaps most interesting, a place where change is visible. Cape Town is considered both developed and underdeveloped at the same time. With a cosmopolitan city center, sprawling neighborhoods and suburbs, it is also home to impoverished townships which many attribute to apartheid’s lasting legacy.
In collaboration with VACorps, Annenberg students intern 35 hours/week and attend a weekly South African Culture Series as well as various excursions and events in and around Cape Town.
The program runs 9.5 weeks from mid-May to mid-July each summer. Final program dates will be provided to students once determined.
Sample Placements (not guaranteed)
- African Monitors
- Bush Radio
- Children’s Youth Foundation
- Cape Town Refugee Center
- Parliamentary Monitoring Group
- News 24
- PR firms and advertising agencies
- The Big Issue (magazine)
- Documentary filmmaking production companies
Students will receive 1 unit of academic credit and will enroll in JOUR 545 or CMGT 591, depending on academic program. Additional instructions will be provided to students upon admission to the program.
- One of the most affordable Annenberg international internship programs available
- The program offers 24/7 support in health and safety management, travel assistance, and cultural adjustment
- Vibrant, diverse culture surrounded by an energetic city steeped in history and social change
- Weekly excursions including surfing, hiking, wine tasting, sunset cruises and more
- Learn the Xhosa’s, one of South Africa’s nine official languages through optional tutoring offered by VACorps
VACorps provides interns with fully furnished housing in the trendy Observatory neighborhood, Cape Town. Also known as “Obs”, this neighborhood houses many University of Cape Town students and staff and offers grocery stores, restaurants and nightlife. In addition to cooking facilities within the apartments, a meal plan (Mama’s Kitchen) is available.
Open to all USC Annenberg graduate students.
Please see the detailed estimated program costs below for Summer 2018. Please note that these costs are subject to change without notice:
- Tuition: 1 unit: $1,800
- Program Fees (includes orientation, internship placement and housing) $4,500
- USC Overseas Health Insurance*: $1,205 (Spring 2018 rate)
- Round Trip Airfare: $1,700
- Personal Expenses (food, entertainment, weekend travel, etc.): $1,500
Annenberg International Programs offers a limited number of scholarships for this program. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
*USC Overseas Health Insurance is required on all USC-approved study abroad programs. If a student is already enrolled in USC Health Insurance there will be no additional charge for USC Overseas Health Insurance. If a student waives out of USC Health Insurance on campus, students will be charged USC Overseas Health Insurance at a rate of $97/month.