Do you know who your academic advisor is? Every student is assigned to a specific advisor, and if you don’t know who yours is, please reach out to us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Your academic advisor is a crucial guide during your time at USC. He/she can help you with any questions you may have regarding your course plans, STARS report, Annenberg policies, USC policies, and much more.
As academic advisors, we want you to know that we are here for you throughout your journey. We are your advocate on campus. Take the initiative and make an appointment with your advisor before or after mandatory advisement. We enjoy meeting with our students and getting to know what is going on. The appointment does not need to be confined inside our offices. We can meet for coffee, tea, or ice cream and enjoy the nice weather outside (it is on the house).
If you are interested in connecting with your advisor but do not know what to talk about, here are some suggestions:
- Discuss your personal and professional goals with us
- Ask what our hobbies are/Talk about your hobbies
- Talk about your 5- year, 10- year plan
- Something that you’re very passionate about
- Ask your advisor about their college experience and how they got into academic advising
- Vanessa Chiu